Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) Stretch for Hamstrings
Presented by: Kelley Pearce American College of Sports Medicine Certified
- Start by lying on your back and strapping the leg that your are intending to stretch.
- Lift leg up 90 degrees from hip keeping opposite leg bent. See photo above.
- Begin by stretching the raised leg to a mild discomfort.
- After the mild discomfort dissipates, hold the strap tight under the arch of your foot and stretch into the strap for 5 seconds. This is basically contracting your leg into the strap and having it try to move to the floor.
- Once the stretch has been held for 5 seconds, release your leg slightly toward the floor and then re-stretch to mild discomfort again.
- Repeat this up to 5 times on each leg.
For more great tips like this one, reach out to our certified personal trainers at 541-687-2200